Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Bench Press Arm Length

Posted by: j hyde (jacobhyde@houston.rr.com)

is it easier to bench more with shorter arms? a friend and i just got into an argument because i told him that the fact that he had shorter arms and a thick chest makes it eaiser on the bench press then being heavier with longer arms.

Re: Bench Press Arm Length

Posted by: Jen (jentcb@hotmail.com)

A friend and I just had a similar discussion re: arm length as a factor in weight lifting. We went online and found an article that addressed this question. In short, "If both lifters are using the same weight and lifting with the same intensity, one may outlift the other by a substantial margin. Why? Again, it's physics, because the lifter with the shorter arms will have much less work to do." (Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Weight Training © 2003 by Deidre Johnson-Cane and Jonathan Cane.)

Re: Bench Press Arm Length

Posted by: Barney (bbstev@hotmail.com)

I have been lifting weights for over 40 years. My observations are that great bench pressers have superior leverage to average or mediocre ones. The key is upper arm length. The shorter the upper arm length from the shoulder to the elbow, the greater the leverage for moving huge weights in the bench press. These guys are great pushers. They cannot pull much. The opposite is true for great pullers. Longer upper arms yields great pulling power but pushing power is mediocre. Check out the pictures of the elite bench pressers on their web sites and you will see what I mean.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]