Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

no more than 30 grams of protein?

Posted by: Neil

I like to make my own protein drinks at home from raw egg whites and skim milk. Sometimes I consume 40 to 50 grams of protein in one of these shakes. When I told a nutritionist at the gym about this, he said your body can only assimilate 30 grams of protein per meal, and any more is dangerous. Have I been wasting protein by consuming too much, or worse yet, harming my body?

Re: no more than 30 grams of protein?

Posted by: Bill

Consuming more than 30 grams of protein at a time is not anything to worry about; however, there isn't any proof that you need more than 30 grams of protein per meal. Yet, there isn't any proof that you can't assimilate 40 or 50 grams of protein per meal. Basically, scientists aren't exactly sure how much protein is "just right." At a bodyweight of 200 pounds, I usually go for 200 grams per day. One specific time your body can handle more protein is directly following a hard workout.

One last thing...I would not be using raw egg whites. Salmonella poisoning is nothing to take lightly. If you're going to make your own protein shakes, use Egg Beaters. They've got the same high quality protein as egg whites, but they've been pasteurized, so there's no risk of salmonella.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription