Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Creatine monohydrate insulin spike

Posted by: Zealot

I understand that one of the ways to get better results from using creatine monohydrate is to take it along with a simple carbohydrate (like grape juice or dextrose), especially right after a workout. I was wondering if it would be okay to add creatine monohydrate to my post-workout meal which contains 35% protein, 45% carbs, and 20% fat, with about 500 calories. Will I lose the "insulin spike" effect that may help more creatine get shuttled into muscle cells if I take it with this meal?

Re: Creatine monohydrate insulin spike

Posted by: Bill

Yes, I think you would. Typically, when you add fat to a meal, it blunts the insulin spike you get from carbs. Now, most of the time, that's good--stable insulin levels are a positive thing for people who are trying to build muscle and lose fat. But, when you're trying to purposely spike insulin levels to force more creatine into muscle cells, you should avoid fat at that time. Try this--right after you work out, have a serving of creatine; mixed with grape juice or fruit punch of some kind right after you work out. Then, wait about an hour before you have the post-workout meal you described in your question.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription