Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Acne from weight gain bodybuilding diet

Posted by: PFB

Q. Whenever I try to increase my calories to gain weight, my face breaks out, and I'm not a kid. I'm 30. But when I go on a low-calorie diet, my face clears right up. How do I build big muscles, not big zits?

A. Some research has shown that varying the ratios of macronutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats) can affect some enzyme-driven steroid transformations. For example, the reduction of regular testosterone to the nastier dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by the 5-alpha reductase enzyme can be inhibited by eating at least 40% of your daily calories as protein. So analyze your macronutrient ratios; you may be eating this much or more protein while on low calories. And when you're trying to gain weight, this protein ratio drops to less than 40%. So try eating 40% of your calories from protein during your weight-gain period and see whether or not your acne diminishes.

I should point out that the negative part of eating this much protein is more testosterone is converted to estrogen (which may be beneficial in clearing up your acne, as estrogen is a potent anti-androgen). Lucky for us, we can combat this extra estrogen with any of the naturally occurring anti-estrogens available on the supplement market (e.g., saw palmetto and chrysin). Another potential bonus of eating a higher protein diet for long periods is this very well may preserve your hairline as you age.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription