Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

How to calculate watts in weightlifting exercise

Posted by: Joseph M.

Hi,

Any ideas on comparable workouts in terms of watts comparing competitive cyclists and weight lifters? 2000 watts for 5 seconds 1500 watts for 5 seconds 300 watts for a 60 min workout or possible 400 watts AV over 60 minutes. How do these abilities look if moved into the weights workout can we get comparable workouts.

Can I peak a 1500 pound squat?

Joe

Re: How to calculate watts in weightlifting exercise

Posted by: Paul

A few years back I wrote a series of articles called "The Physics of Weight Training" where I talked about work and power.

The basics of this is:

Work = Force times Distance

In weight training this is how much lifted and how far, so let's say someone bench presses 250, and each rep, the distance up and down, is 4 feet, and he does ten reps - this would be 250 times 40 = 10,500 foot-pounds.

Power = Work divided by Time

So if we take the same set of bench press about and say each rep takes 3 seconds, 30 seconds = 350 foot-pounds per second.

Now to convert this to watts:

Horse power is 550 foot-pounds per second (745.7 watts).

350 divided by 550 = 0.63636364 (hp)

0.63636364 times 745.7 = 474.536635 (W)

That's just for one exercise, if you take the work of every set in the workout and divide by the total workout time, you can get the power and watts per workout.

Can you squat 1,500? The current world record using a squat suit and knee wraps, is 1273.2 pounds, so I guess it's possible that someone one day will squat 1,500 - but damn that's a lot of weight!

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription