Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

3 day a week powerlifting program

Posted by: PFB

Q. I want to train for powerlifting. How do I incorporate bench press, squats, and dead lifting if I train 3 days a week? How would the program be laid out during the week?

A. It's always been my opinion that in any weight class except the supers it's best to maximize muscle mass and minimize body fat so that you can be most efficient and strongest at any weight class you lift in. It's also my opinion that while an efficient powerlifter may be almost as lean as a competitive bodybuilder, having too much of a bodybuilder type of physique is counter productive. The excessive hypertrophy seen in bodybuilders doesn't translate into strength in the three lifts, and the extra weight (even though it's muscle, some of it is excess baggage) lowers the efficiency of a lifter in any one weight class.

As far as incorporating the rest of the workout, it wasn't a problem for me since I only squatted and dead lifted once a week and sometimes once every ten days. I needed more work on the bench and less time to recoup so I worked the bench twice a week. My routine would be something like this:

Monday - I would squat, bench and deadlift and the whole workout would take between three and four hours. The squat and deadlift were both really heavy and I rarely did more than three reps with the heaviest sets (actually in the squat and bench I always kept it to three reps or less with the heavy weights). I'd also do some incline benches after I did the big three.

Wednesday - I would do some rowing and light triceps and delt work. Workout usually took no more than one hour.

Friday - I would bench (flat and incline) with the workout taking no more than one and half hours.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription