Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Difference between deadlifts and sumo deadlifts

Posted by: PFB

Q: Hi. Could you please explain to me what difference between conventional deadlifts and sumo deadlifts, as far as their physiological adaptation goes? And do you have a preference of one over the other? Great web site and keep up the good work.

A: Sumo deadlifts are performed with the feet much wider than conventional deadlifts and with the grip inside the legs. Although the term "conventional" is a misnomer in my opinion because what might be "conventional" for one lifter, might not be for another. All technicalities aside, sumo deadlifts allow for a shorter range of motion before lock-out and therefore are the "technique of choice" for many powerlifters. I have no preferences and you shouldn't either if you want maximum development. Make sure you perform all variations and don't stick with the style you are most efficient and strongest at like most lifters do. If you want to get strong, you must lift where you are weak so pick the movement you are weakest at and perform it for 6 workouts before switching to another position. Also, don't use the mixed grip as it can be harmful to the bicep and can create muscular imbalance problems in the upper back.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription