Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

How to put on muscle mass without gaining fat

Posted by: PFB

Q: I need to put on some serious muscle mass but I'm afraid of gaining fat. Please help!

A: One of the best nutritional tips to add lean mass is the addition of carbohydrates at breakfast and post-workout. You're much less likely to store the additional carbs as body fat during these two time periods; however, you must keep fat intake to a minimum since insulin levels will elevate.

Two carb/protein ratios I often use with my clients are 2:1 and 3:1 for breakfast and post-workout, respectively. The grams of protein are based on lean body mass. Let's say your lean body mass is 160 lbs. Multiply that number by 0.25 and you've got the number of protein grams you should ingest. In this case it's 40g of protein. From that point, the calculations are easy: consume 80g of carbs with breakfast, and 120g of carbs post-workout.

For breakfast, I recommend adding in complex, slow-digesting carbs such as oatmeal. For the post-workout time, use rice, or low-fat cereals such as Cheerios.

This trick works extremely well to add mass without that nasty body fat tagging along.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription