Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

How to stretch achilles tendon and calf

Posted by: PFB

Q: My 17 year old son is beginning an off-season training program for quarterbacks. He was born with club foot, but had casts put on his feet immediately to correct this problem. He also wore corrective footwear for many years. At this point, though, he cannot keep his right foot flat on the ground when he bends his knee, thus making it impossible to perform squats, deadlifts, etc. The problem is not as pronounced in his left foot. It seems as if his Achilles tendon and calves are very tight. His calf muscles are very undeveloped. What can be done to help stretch out the Achilles and calves, or would he need to be examined by a doctor first? Could you please advise me?

A: I have found that the best way to achieve ROM in the Achilles and calves is to utilize the passive stretch from weight training. In other words, have him perform several sets of both seated and standing calf raises (to stretch out the soleus and gastrocnemius respectively) with a progressively heavier weight holding the stretch position for up to 15 seconds. Also, consider using heel lifts when he performs his squats and deadlifts. Over time, try to decrease the height of the lift (make it a subtle change.) It would be wise, though, to have a doctor examine him first.)

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription