Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Should I drink protein during my workout?

Posted by: PFB

Q: Recently, I saw a pro bodybuilder downing some kind of protein drink while he was training. Do you recommend this?

A: Even before you finish your workout, you have created a catabolic environment. I always emphasize a postworkout drink of simple carbs and whey protein to help start the recovery and growth process, but you can begin the recovery process earlier by consuming a "workout drink."

For your own workout drink, I recommend that you use one liter of liquid, 20 grams (g) of whey protein, 6 g of branched-chain amino acids, 10 g of glutamine, 3 g of creatine and approximately 60 g of simple sugars. You can use Gatorade, dextrose, maltodextrin, Vitargo or other glucose polymers and water to make up the liquid and sugars. Use a lot of fluids in the mixture so that it is highly diluted -- if you use only a small amount of liquid, you're asking for gastrointestinal disturbance.

I take a few sips of my post workout drink after every set in my workout, making sure to finish it by the time I reach the halfway point in my training. I've noticed that it gives me a tremendous pump that dissipates much more slowly than when I don't have a drink. I've recommended a workout drink to many other competitive bodybuilders who train in my gym, and every one of them gets the same incredible results.

The logic behind it is simple. You can help prevent your body from becoming catabolic by supplying it with all the necessary nutrients at the time when it needs them the most - during intense workouts. The drink provides fuel that helps maintain glucose concentrations and considerably reduces glycogen depletion. At the same time, you increase blood flow and insulin levels. The result is enhanced uptake of amino acids, glucose and creatine by your muscles.

I encourage all dedicated bodybuilders to try this workout drink. Start with smaller portions of each ingredient and progressively increase the amounts according to your specific goals or the demand of your workouts. After training, down a standard postworkout drink of 50 g of protein and 50 g of carbs.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription