Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Can creatine cause cancer

Posted by: Manny

I read an article old about creatine may cause cancer. The article was about a study done somewhere in europe. But it does not go into detail. Does anyone have any ideas, comments or have read anymore about this? Has there ever been any recalls of creatine? Not sure if it is worth taking them in light of this study.

Re: Can creatine cause cancer

Posted by: Chris V

That thing is a total joke. Note the verbiage used. It was linked to a "potential risk of cancer". Not a real risk, a potential risk. Milk, due to drugs and antibiotics fed to cattle, has been linked to a potential risk of cancer. All this means is that some French researchers are suspicious of creatine but they have no proof of anything so they throw out the potential risk of cancer thing to draw headlines.

Notice that there are no references at all. Nothing. Just some vague ideas that creatine might provide a cancer risk.

Here's another zinger from this article: "...the product was of little benefit to athletes hoping to improve their performance." That's total BS. I can go out on MedLine or out to the NSCA's site and pull up a few hundred studies - real scientific ones with actual subjects and results - that all show creatine is effective at improving athletic performance. Now it doesn't work for all athletes in all sports, but it does for the majority of them.

Here's another: "A proven effect was only noticeable in activities lasting around 15 seconds, the report found." No shit, sherlock. Creatine monohydrate increases creatine phosphate stores in muscle. Creatine phosphate in used in short, intense muscular activity. So, creatine monohydrate use should improve performance in any sport that requires short bursts of intense activity - think sprinting, football, baseball, etc. In effect, they came out and stated that creatine does exactly what it is supposed to do.

They also mention that the muscle bulking from creatine is mostly from water retention. DUH, of course it is! That's because muscle is mostly water! I don't recall the exact percentage, but it is somewhere around 80%.

I hope I don't sound like I'm coming down on you for posting this. I'm not. I'm coming down on idiot "science" practices and morons in the media who give it instant credibility by publishing it even though it's worthless drivel. These French researchers obviously know nothing about athletics and physiology or they wouldn't have said 3/4 of the things they did. If this thing is a study in anything, it's a study of gross ignorance and blatant stupidity.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription