Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

New York City Ballet Workout Reviews

Posted by: Lisa

has anyone read New York City Ballet Workout? let me know what you think!

Re: New York City Ballet Workout Reviews

Posted by: Anatomist1

I just ordered it from my public library. It sounds pretty interesting. My guess is that the strength moves will be good, but the stretches questionable.

Bear in mind that the purpose of ballet is visual aesthetics, not the health of the participants. Most ballet dancers retire at a disturbingly young age due to injuries both chronic and acute. I have an ex-girlfriend who was on the fast track to a national level of excellence in ballet and modern dance until she had a terrible back injury. Her career was over at 17. She had already been singled out by some NYC bigshot and everything.

One thing I would definitely warn against is the emulation of ballet dancers' nutritional habits. The ideal body type for classical ballet women is somewhat prepubescent and very thin. Breasts and wide hips are discouraged; eating disorders are common. Among the horror stories I heard was a prolonged bananna-only diet!

I believe the primary reasons for ballet injuries are probably poor diet and excessive training loads. Hypermobility (excessive flexibility) is another likely suspect, which is why I am skeptical about the stretching. All that said, if the author draws on contemporary fitness knowledge, and makes generous allowances for the difference in goals between ordinary people and hardcore professionals, it could be a really cool idea. I'm quite partial to bodyweight-only excercises, and attention to posture and stability.

Re: New York City Ballet Workout Reviews

Posted by: Lisa

Thanks for you imput A. I've tried it out a couple of times and have been surprised at how challenging some of the excersizes are. I think the stretches are really good but I'm also fairly new at this. It definately isn't a cardiovascular exersize and should be suplemented but I can definately feel it toning my muscles. I have been curious what guys think of though, because I'm fairly small and I would imagine it would be different. Let me know what ou think after you try it out!

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription