Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Building muscle over fat

Posted by: Lisa

I just started working out with my Bowflex. I also walk on my treadmill for 20-30 minutes at 4.5 mph 3 times a week. I'm wondering though, is it possible to build muscle on top of the fat that's on my body. Should I try to lose the fat first? I don't want muscle on top of fat....Thanks.

Re: Building muscle over fat

Posted by: Info

Absolutely impossible. subcutaneous fat is located around skeletal muscle and organs. muscle is never located 'over' fat. Muscle cannot turn into fat either, they are conmpletely different tissue, its like saying wood turned into metal.

Posted by: David

Muscle and fat can be gained or lost simultaneously. More muscle means more fat burning ability but if your diet is not right you might just be maintaining or adding to your fat stores even as you add muscle.

Posted by: Anatomist1

Take a look at any basic anatomy text. The basic configuration of your body is permanent. Excess bodyfat rests on top of skeletal muscle, for the most part. Gaining muscle means increasing the size of the muscle cells you already have. In general, the body doesn't increase the number of muscle cells in response to training. "Losing" fat involves shrinking the fat cells. You cannot literally lose them, once they are there, without liposuction. Unfortunately, your body can make more fat cells, which is why people who were once quite overweight have a devil of a time getting thin.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription