Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

How to pick the right exercises and programs for your body

Posted by: Chris

Think about gardening for a minute. When you plant tomato seeds what do expect to grow? Totatoes. Stupid question, I know, but it makes a very good point about exercise. People in gyms all over the world are planting the wrong training "seeds" for the results they'd like to see. Of course, they blame the training rather than themselves. It's similar to the person who plants sun flower seeds, gets upset when he doesn't get tomatoes and then denounces gardening as a stupid and useless activity. You planted the wrong seeds dummy!

So, in your training decide what results you are after and choose the right exercise "seeds" to get you to those results. Here are the exercise seeds and what they grow. Here are the categories: Cardiovascular fitness (CVF), Fat Loss (FL), Muscle Size (MSz), Muscle Strength (MSt), Muscle Endurance (ME), Bone Density (BD)

Seed: Cardio/Aerobics
Grows: CVF - Very Good, FL - Fair, MSz - Poor, MSt - Poor, ME - Fair/Poor, BD - Fair (high impact only)

Seed: Circuit Training
Grows: CVF - Good, FL - Fair, MSz - Fair, MSt - Fair, ME - Fair, BD - Fair (depending on weight used)

Seed: Strength Training (Moderate weight, 8-12 reps, 1-2 minutes rest between sets)
Grows: CVF - Poor, FL - Fair, MSz - Very Good, MSt - Good, ME - Fair, BD - Good

Seed: Strength Training (Heavy Weight, 1-6 reps, 3-5 minutes rest between sets)
Grows: CVF - Poor, FL - Fair, MSz - Fair, MSt - Very Good, ME - Fair, BD - Very Good

Seed: Strength Training (Moderate-Light weght, 8-15 reps, 1 minute or less between sets)
Grows: CVF - Poor, FL - Good, MSz - Good, MSt - Fair, ME - Good, BD - Good

Seed: Strength Training (Light weights, 15+ reps, 1 minute or less between sets)
Grows: CVF - Fair, FL - Fair, MSz - Poor, MSt - Poor, ME - Very Good, BD - Fair

Seed: Interval Training
Grows: CVF - Good, FL - Very Good, MSz - Poor, MSt - Poor, ME - Very Good, BD - Fair

A note on Fat Loss: Fat loss is mostly a function of diet. If I eat 6 super-sized Big Mac Meals with regular coke every day and chase them with Ben & Jerry's it's unlikely that I'm going to lose any weight. So the fat loss rating for these exercise methods is mainly for how much will it help in addition to a fat loss diet.

A note on Injury Risk: There is always a certain level of risk assumed with any exercise program. Most injuries come from stupid people doing stupid things. In my experience, none of these activities are any more dangerous than any others WHEN DONE PROPERLY. Sloppy form, not using spotters, etc. creates a perfect environment for injuries.

Re: How to pick the right exercises and programs for your body

Posted by: Jeff

Nice Job Chris! You should have gotten this published before you posted it! If people would set realistic, attainable goals, your post can help them reach those goals. It might even help those women who think that if they do less than 15 reps they will get too big. It might even help them understand that IT JUST AINT SO!

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription