Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Where can I get a body fat analysis done?

Posted by: Denise

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a place in New Jersey that does your body fat analysis in water. Someone told me that this is very accurate. Or if there is somewhere where I can get a professional to do it. I used to get mine checked at my gym at work, but they let go of all the trainers! I haven't had it done in a while and I would like to see my progress. I have the plastic calipters at home. Can I do this on myself? Can a friend do this or do I need a professional. Also, where exactly do women get measured and how often should you have your body fat checked?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Denise

Re: Where can I get a body fat analysis done?

Posted by: Cora

You might call around to universities in NJ and see if they have an exercise physiology department where you can get the water weighing done.

If you have the plastic calipers, are they the Accumeasure ones? If so, they should have come with directions for doing one measurement in the abdominal area. You can't determine overall body fat, but you can tell how you're progressing relative to yourself.

I saved this post from ages ago--it was written by Chris V and is worth repeating. First weigh once a week on the same day, first thing in the a.m. with the same clothes (or none) all the time.

Then, do the caliper measurement in the one site just above right hip bone (take average of 3)

Here is what the caliper/scales will tell you:

-Caliper does not change but weight goes down. This means you are losing lean mass and not fat. Reduce the amount of cardio you're doing and increase calories by 1 cal/lb.
-Caliper does not change, neither does weight. No progress. Increase exercise or cut calories by 1 cal/lb.
-Caliper does not change, weight goes up. You're gaining muscle and fat. Cut calories by 1 cal/lb.
-Caliper increase and weight goes up or stays the same. This means you're gaining fat. Either increase cardio or cut calories by 1 cal/lb or both.
-Caliper increases, weight goes down. This is VERY BAD! This means you are losing muscle in gobs. Reduce cardio and increase calories.
-Caliper decreases regardless of weight. This is waht you're after. If weight goes up, it means you are gaining more muscle than you are losing fat. If weight stays the same, it means you have gained as much muscle as you have lost in fat. If weight goes down, then you're losing fat.
: I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a place
: in New Jersey that does your body fat analysis
: in water. Someone told me that this is very
: accurate. Or if there is somewhere where
: I can get a professional to do it.
: I used to get mine checked at my gym at work,
: but they let go of all the trainers!
: I haven't had it done in a while and I would like
: to see my progress. I have the plastic calipters
: at home. Can I do this on myself? Can a friend
: do this or do I need a professional. Also,
: where exactly do women get measured and how
: often should you have your body fat checked?

Re: Where can I get a body fat analysis done?

Posted by: Chris V

Thanks for the plug Cora!

The biggest thing in bodyfat testing is consistency. The same conditions need to be met as closely as possible for it to be accurate for you. What method you use doesn't really matter. Those new Tanita scales that measure bodyfat would work (though they're more expensive than the accumeasure calipers).

The important thing is to be able to guage your progress by comparing apples to apples.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription