Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]
Working out alone benefits and drawbacks
Posted by: Ron
Training with a partner has its advantages just as training alone does.
Know the advantages and disadvantages of training alone
Sometimes getting the right training partner is impossible. Perhaps you train at home or you work different shifts and your hours at the gym vary. In What is a good workout partner I outlined the qualities of your ideal training partner. If you meet the 7 criteria for an ideal training partner, then you could be your own ideal training partner.
Here are the disadvantages and advantages of training by yourself.
Disadvantages of training alone
- No one to watch and spot you when you want to try eights that you’ve never done before.
- Higher chance of injury if you let your ego get the better of you
- Easier to skip a workout
- Less motivation without friendly competition
- No second opinion/perspective
On the other hand there are some great benefits to working out on your own.
Advantages of training alone
- You train when it’s convenient for you either at the gym or at home, you set your own schedule
- You get to practice self discipline and train smart checking your ego at the door
- Teaches you self-reliance
- It’s easier to get into the zone
- You can set shorter and stricter rest periods and finish the same amount of work in less time
- You are 100% responsible for your workouts, which can be scary and empowering at the same time
- You can listen to any music you want or have total silence
Vince Gironda trained alone a lot of the time, which is how he was able to focus so much on what worked.
Depending on what’s important to you, you can make the right choice. There’s also no set rule that you must train alone or with someone. You can alternate and do both.
What’s your preference? Training alone or with a partner?
[Submit a follow up message]
[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]