Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Are peanuts good for bodybuilding?

Posted by: Ron

Peanuts are touted to be good for you, “supposed” to cut your risk of heart disease and are super convenient. Their dark side often goes unmentioned.

Avoid all commercial peanuts and peanut butter

In past posts, I’ve mentioned nuts and legumes in general being tough to digest without first sprouting them. I want to go a little deeper and give you more information about why peanuts are so dangerous.

First of all, despite having “nut” in their name, peanuts are legumes. They grow underground and along with beans and peas belong to the Leguminosae plant family.

Second of all, peanuts are one of the most sprayed crops out there. They’re full of pesticides in an effort to keep pests and fungi from attacking them. The pesticide content alone should be enough to deter you from consuming commercial peanuts and products made from them like peanut butter.

Thirdly, if you can find pesticide free, organic peanuts, you’re still dealing with the anti-nutrients it contains that makes them difficult to digest. Then there’s the issue of aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a carcinogenic (cancer causing) mold produced by fungi, that’s frequently found on peanuts, both organic and commercial. They thrive in moist conditions which is where peanuts grow.

On top of all that, the fourth point is that peanuts are high in omega 6 fatty acids, which are known to be pro inflammatory. In an ideal world, your omega 3 to omega 6 intake would be relatively equal. A good goal to should be to aim for a 1:1 ratio. In modern western diets, that ratio is anywhere from 1:15 to as much as 1:50 (omega 3:omega 6). That explains quite a bit of where all these chronic inflammation conditions originate. Conditions like:

and the list keeps going on.

I suggest you definitely avoid peanuts for their fat content (bad fats) and if you’re eating them for their protein content, I suggest you look elsewhere since it is an incomplete protein, much like soy, and it has roughly the same incomplete protein content.

If you’ve already kicked your peanut butter or peanut habit, what did you replace it with?

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription