Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Mike Mentzer progressive overload

Posted by: Yazdi

Hello,

I recently saw your post about the Mike Mentzer Consolidation Program. I wanted to ask: How often should I increase my weight, and by how much?

Especially for an exercise like Deadlifts, it seems like I could go up by 10 pounds every 2 weeks.

In addition, for dips, if we eventually hit over 10 reps, do we start doing them weighted?

Kind regards,

Amol

Re: Mike Mentzer progressive overload

Posted by: Paul

Mike Mentzer said that muscle size and strength are interdependent on each other and if you want to get bigger, you have to workout with the goal of getting stronger (the progressive overload principle).

So to answer your question, you should be increasing weight as often and by as much as you can, but only if you can keep doing the exercise in slow and perfect form. If you can go up by 10 pounds in the deadlift, then keep going - it means the program is working!

And yes, when you can do 10 or more dips in perfect form you need to add weight to the exercise.

If you want to learn how to do high intensity training the right way, checkout my new book on Mike Mentzer and High Intensity Training https://www.trulyhuge.com/mike-mentzer-book.html

If you have any other questions about Mike Mentzer or High Intensity Training email me and I'll get back to you with an answer as quick as I can.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription