Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

I'm Working Out But Not Gaining Muscle

Posted by: Chris (coehring@vt.edu)

Hey. I am 6'1", 138 lbs, and have been working out for 3 months now with little to no gain in muscle. I eat 5-6 meals a day (they are relatively small, but get bigger as the day goes on), and work out 3 days in a row with a rest day afterwards (i go in 4 day cycles). Day one I work on just my chest, day two I work on legs and abs, and day three I work on back, arms, and shoulders. Each session is about 45 min plus or minus 15. I drink one to two protein shakes a day (American Whey, which I have been told by numerous people is a great formula), no creatine (though I am debating it now) and all I have seen is a loss in weight.

I am really trying to put muscle on but I dont know what I am doing wrong. Help?

Re: I'm Working Out But Not Gaining Muscle

Posted by: Derek

If you've been working out and not gaining weight you're probably doing too light a weight and too many reps. Try a routine that focuses more on pure strength and less toning. Trust me if you're already skinny you will get toned too. Do as heavy as you can lift 6-8 reps, 3 sets, and alternate sets with no more than a min break between sets. I am 19 and 5'10" and I was just over 130lbs 3when I started lifting. I found a decent workout routine and in 2 months I put on about 20lbs or muscle and maybe 2-5 in the most recent month. I eat a lot of high protein food and drink GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 (it works really well) about 20 mins after lifting. I suggest starting out doing a split routine that works at least two muscle groups per workout. And CHANGE THINGS UP! Make sure you change your routine every 4 weeks otherwise you will just plateau.

Posted by: Sebastian (sebastianhammer@yahoo.com)

Sounds like you are just not eating enough. If you are going to gain weight you need to eat more! It takes about 3000 additional calories to gain one pound. How many calories are you eating?

[Submit a follow up message]

Posted by: Dr.Zihajlo

Dude you need to lift heavy and train monday,wednesday and friday.Give ur body rest days in-between.You need to sleep atleast 7-8 hours a day aswell.Your body doesnt grown in the gym, it grows during sleep.Thats when it recovers.Try egg protein(egg whites).The enzymes in that are important.Whey is handy and convenient but wont match quality of egg whites.Plus yeah..eat every 2 -3 hours small portions but healthy.Rice , pasta,potatoes, beef chicken etc etc.Train hardcore and heavy.Increase ur weights every time.You need to trick the body a little bit.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]