Posted by: Mark
As an old guy (59) who's been lifting since my middle school days, I'm still convinced I can grow in a new way. Your article about how did Mike Mentzer train was fascinating.
1) Did Mike preceed each intense 3-5 set per muscle group workout with 1-2 workup sets? That is to say 5-7 sets per muscle group including workup sets?
2) What was his most effective rep range?
3) As he minimized rest, did he drop weight after each set?Thank you!
Posted by: Paul
1) Mike used the minimum warm up needed, so let's say he trained biceps, he would do a warm up set for barbell curls, then do 1 all out set each of barbell curls, preacher curls and dumbbell concentration curls. He didn't do warm up sets for each exercise after the barbell curls because his biceps were already warmed up.
2) 6 to 10 reps for upper body exercises, and 12 to 20 reps for lower body exercises.
3) He usually did only 1 or 2 sets for each exercise so no he didn't lower the weights.
You really should learn as much as you can about Mike Mentzer's full training theory by watching the Mike Mentzer's Underground Seminar Video and see exactly what the workouts looked like in the gym, including exercises, form, rep speed, etc., by watching the Mike Mentzer Workout Video.
If you have any other questions about Mike Mentzer or High Intensity Training email me and I'll get back to you with an answer as quick as I can.