Home | Supplements | eBooks | DVDs | Articles | Forum
Truly Huge Bodybuilding and Fitness

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription

[Submit to forum] [Back to The Truly Huge Home Page]

Mike Mentzer Calves Workout

Posted by: Sir Diti

I noticed that the "Mike Mentzer Forearms Workout" is a new addition to this forum. Can you make a thread about his calf workout? Thanks.

Re: Mike Mentzer Calves Workout

Mike Mentzer Calves

Posted by: Paul

I did post an article on Mike Mentzer Calf Training not too long ago, but I will include even more information here - plus his full calf workout.

Mike Mentzer on Calves

In his booklet Heavy Duty Legs Mike Mentzer talked in detail about training the calves.

"The calves have come to be known as the 'stubborn' muscle. Because of all the exercise the calves receive in our daily routine, as the rational goes, such as walking, climbing, running, etc., the calves are especially tough and stuborn. This may be true; I really don't know. But I do know that the 'solution' to the problem of stubborn calves is erroneous. The rational continues that since the calves are stubborn from so much daily activity, we must work them extra hard. What is usually meant, of course, by doing them extra hard is to do more work for them. Wrong! Wrong! If the calves are stubborn from all the work they receive in daily living, then why come into the gym and overwork them with twenty sets of low intensity exercise? What the calves require is very brief high intensity training not more low intensity work."

"Walking is a very low intensity form of activity, which is why we can do so much of it. To try to build stubborn calves with high set daily workouts is like trying to put out a fire with kerosene. The calves must be worked no more than two days a week with heavy weights over a full range of movement and little rest between sets. Each set must be carried to a point of failure where the weight can't possibly be budged no matter how hard you try. How many sets? Three. No, not three sets of five different exercises, but three total sets. You can one set of three exercises, or three sets of one exercise - it doesn't make that much difference as long as the intensity is high."

Mike Mentzer Favorite Exercises For Calves

"My favorite calf exercise is the toe press on the leg press machine. There is no pressure on the back with this one, and the weight seems more direct, as it passes right from the foot into the lower leg."

"The standing calf raise is a great exercise and is probably the most widely practiced calf exercise. As with the toe press, emphasize the stretch, and contact fully at the top. Keep the knees locked and the body in a straight line."

Mike Mentzer Calves Routine

Standing Calf Raise - 2 sets of 12 to 20 reps to failure
Toe Press - 1 set of 12 to 20 reps to failure

For a complete presentation of Mike Mentzer's workout system watch the Mike Mentzer Training Video.

If you have any other questions about Mike Mentzer or High Intensity Training email me and I'll get back to you with an answer as quick as I can.

[Submit a follow up message]

Click Here for a Chance to Win Free Bodybuilding Supplements

[Natural Bodybuilding Forum] [Bodybuilding Supplement Forum] [Weightlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Message Board]
[Powerlifting Forum] [Bodybuilding Discussion Forum] [Bodybuilder Forum] [Teen Bodybuilding Forum]
[Muscle Growth Forum] [Weight Loss Forum] [Workout Forum] [Health and Fitness Forum]

Click Here for Free Bodybuilding and Fitness Magazine Subscription